Materials: Computer and projector
Lesson Length: 45-60 mins
Task: Writing your own lyrics to a popular song
Song Suggestions: Perfect-Ed Sheeran, If I Were A Boy-Beyonce, Budapest-George Ezra
- Vote with the class and choose a song in Solfeg.io. Keep in mind they will be writing lyrics to this song. Slower songs will probably work best.
- Before listening to the song, tell the students they will write down some specific lyrics. They should write down some rhyming words, one catchy phrase and 1-2 phrases that they really like. In the Solfeg.io player, you can start, stop and even slow down the music so the students have a chance to write things down.
- Choose several students to read the lyrics they wrote down.
- Return to the song in Solfeg.io. Now turn off the vocal track. Explain to the students they are going to try and write some of their own lyrics with the music! They should write lyrics with the original melody in mind. It should make the writing easier this way. They can also use some of the lyrics they wrote down in the beginning of class to help them get started.
- Try and have them write at least one verse or chorus.
- Tips for writing:
- Write about your day
- Write about how you feel
- Write about traveling somewhere
- Write about something that you really want
- At the end of class ask a few brave souls to present their new lyrics. Allow the students to speak or sing them along with the music.
Goal aims: Personal musical expressions and performance; Musical composition and creation of music; Combining music with other forms of expression; Sub plans.